When we got to the Botanical Gardens (not too far away from where we live, fortunately--it's really a nice park), Mariel said, "I can't BELIEVE it!" And rightly so, because it was goddamn six in the freakin' morning.
But we were up and about, because we were there for the morning birdwatching tour run by Andy Narine, a passionate birdwatcher and conservationist, who tried for two hours to get us acquainted with his fine feathered friends.
"This is your first time birdwatching?" I was asked by one of the members of Andy's Guyana Amazonian Tropical Birds Society. I guess I was so obviously a rank amateur at birdwatching, constantly saying, What's that? What do you call that? Is that a falcon?(Answer: No, it's a macaw.)
It's definitely one of the perks to being in South America, being around so much wildlife. On a typical walk to work, I can spot green macaws, kiskadees (a picture of which is at the beginning of this post, although it wasn't taken on the birdwatching tour), snail hawks, hummingbirds, and the odd peregrine falcon or two.
Interested birdwatching enthusiasts can see the entire GATBS checklist of birds here. Photos of the tour here. Don't blame me for the lousy quality of the pictures. It was six in the freakin' morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment